"We headed across the street to see the Royal Palace. There were only two buildings that were available to us, the coronation room and The Silver Pagoda. The Silver Pagoda is famous for the 500 kg of silver that decorate the floor of the temple and the two Buddha statues, first a 90 kg solid gold man-sized statue decorated with over 2,000 diamonds and a smaller a small 17th century baccarat crystal Buddha. The buildings were nice but we felt that there was something lacking – it seemed like they were trying to make the numbers rather then creating a balanced and beautiful space."
See the flag at top: the King is at home.
The Royal Palace in Phnom Penh was constructed over a century ago to serve as the residence of the King of
Cambodia, his family and foreign dignitaries, as a venue for the performance of court ceremony and ritual and as a symbol of the Kingdom. It serves to this day as the Cambodian home of King
Norodom Sihamoni and former King Norodom Sihanouk.
The Silver Pagoda
Marking the approach to the Royal Palace along Sothearos Blvd the high yellow crenulated wall and spired
Chanchhaya Pavilion stand distinctively
against the riverfront skyline. The Royal Palace complex and attached 'Silver Pagoda' compound consist of several buildings, structures and gardens all
located within 500x800 meter walled grounds overlooking a riverfront park
Inside the Palace grounds street sounds are silenced by the high walls and the
royal buildings sit like ornate islands rising from the manicured gardens. TheRoyal Palace serves as the residence of the King, a venue for court
ceremony and as a symbol of the Kingdom. It was first established at its present location when the capital was moved from Oudong to Phnom Penh in 1866 under King
Norodom and the French protectorate, though the Palace did not attain its current general form until about 1920. Khmer and European elements as well as
distinct architectural echoes of the palace in Bangkok are present in the design of the various buildings.
Attached to the Palace compound, Wat Preah Keo Morokat (the 'Silver Pagoda') is unique amongst pagodas. So named for its silver
tiled floor, it is where the King meets with monks, Royal ceremonies are performed and it houses a collection of priceless Buddhist and
historical objects including the 'Emerald Buddha.' And, unlike most pagodas, no monks live at the pagoda. The temple building, library and galleries were first constructed between 1892 and 1902
Royal Palace and ‘Silver Pagoda’
Sothearos between Streets 240 & 184 -